About Justin Rudd!
1. Justin loves chocolate chip cookie dough and makes it from memory and from scratch. He always has some dough in the freezer.
2. He founded and directs the 501c3 non-profit organization called the Community Action Team (CAT). He puts on about 38 community events annually.
3. He has a business degree from Samford University — a private, liberal arts, Southern Baptist school in Birmingham, AL.
4. Justin received the 2004 Outstanding Young Californian award presented by the California Jaycees Foundation.
5. He orchestrated the community candlelight vigil that was organized in only 48 hours and brought an estimated 5,000 people to Long Beach’s World Trade Center the Friday following Sept. 11, 2001.
6. He lived the first 26 years of his life in Southeast Alabama (near Florida and Georgia). He was born and raised in the town of Ozark (spelled backwards is KRAZO), population 13,000.
7. He has lived in California since 1995.
8. He was elected and served as class president all four years of high school and his senior year in college.
9. Was in Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity in college and was elected Brother of the Year his junior year. He also served as social chairman, secretary and v.p.
10. Elected Homecoming King by the student body his senior year in college.
11. Helps women to prepare for pageant interviews (including Miss USA, Miss Teen USA, Miss America, Mrs. America, Mrs. United States, Mrs. International, and more). Every week he e-mails pageant practice questions to approx. 4,900 women around the world. subscribe
12. Sometimes people tell him he looks like Peter Krause from Six Feet Under.
13. Sleeps with the noise and air circulation of an air conditioner fan on high.
14. At age 5, he broke his femur (bone that runs from the knee to the hip) when his bike slid on a pile of leaves on the family’s steep driveway. Was in a body cast and in traction in the hospital when he turned 6 years old. During recovery, his family pushed him around in a green wheelbarrow.
15. On Feb. 9, 2005 Justin received the statewide Environmental Volunteer of the Year Award presented by Keep California Beautiful.
16. He graduated fifth (of 219) in his class from Carroll High School in Ozark, Alabama, in 1987. He was president of the National Honor Society; received top subject matter awards for musical theatre and choral music; was in Mu Alpha Theta (math honor society), the Spanish honor society, Key Club, Fellowship of Christian Students, madrigal singers, and Future Business Leaders of America; took all honors and AP classes that were offered; and was founder and president of the Bleacher Screechers pep club.
17. Events and activities he has organized have been featured on every Los Angeles-area TV station and the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, the TODAY Show, Fox News, CN8, the BBC, US News & World Report, PARADE Magazine, IN magazine, Blade magazine, Elle, Los Angeles magazine, Parenting OC, LA Parent, Orange Coast magazine, Coastal Living, LN, Long Beach magazine, AAA Westways magazine, Dog Fancy, Fido Friendly, DogFriendly.com, BARK magazine, Reuters, Mary Engelbreit’s Home Companion magazine, Northwest Airlines World Traveler magazine, The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, The Orange County Register and every local paper, radio and cable station in the Long Beach area.
20 He likes to make mini-movies. CLICK
21 He does not drink alcohol or do drugs. Never has.
22 In conjunction with the 40 days of Lent 2011, Justin gave up all sweets, sodas, fast foods and fried foods. He also ran at least five miles every day, did 100 situps, 40 pushups, 40 squats and 40 lunges on each side. Additionally, he picked up at least four pieces of trash a day. He also recruited 300+ participants to join him in his 40-Day Challenge. Each person chose to give up four foods/drinks.
23 Justin made it to the final 18 for season two of a reality show, “King of the Jungle” on Animal Planet and was seen on the casting special.
24 Very rarely sees movies (at the theater or at home). Most recently, he has seen Enchanted, Knocked Up, The Interpreter, Monster In Law, Meet the Fockers, The Incredibles, Polar Express, Something’s Got to Give, Shrek 2, Spiderman 2, The Aviator, Up, the Fantastic Mr. Fox, and Rio. Has not seen Titanic or Avatar.
25 He doesn’t watch TV, but never misses a televised beauty pageant.
26 He drove a 60-passenger school bus for three years during college.
27 He gets more than 130-230 e-mail messages a day, on average, not including spam or Facebook messages.
28 He does not have a cell phone. Never has had one.
29 Appeared in “the mob” of 1 vs. 100 on NBC in Dec., 2006.
30 Runs AT LEAST five miles each day on the beach bike path in Long Beach. Has run a marathon, THREE 1/2 marathons (most recently the Long Beach 1/2 Marathon in Oct., 2011 with a 7:30/min. pace), six triathlons, several of the 10K Mud Runs, and numerous 5K and 10K races. Finished 35th (2,000+ runners), and 8th in his age group at the 10K Mud Run at Camp Pendleton June, 2003. Time: 55:12.
31 Was the hand double for Jim Carey in the movie Liar, Liar.
32 Doesn’t wear jewelry or watches.
33 Was a K-12 substitute school teacher for the Long Beach Unified School District for two years.
34 When he first moved to Long Beach, Justin washed cars, cut grass, and cleaned offices and toilets to make extra money.
35 He sang for Disney at the world-premiers of Hunchback of Notre Dame and Mulan.
36 Was a Dickens’ Caroler and a singing sergeant in the Toy Story show at Disneyland.
37 Has performed at the Hollywood Bowl, the Super Dome, Las Vegas, Disneyland and the El
Capitan theater in Hollywood.
38 Has signed his name with an exclamation point (Justin!) since middle school when he saw a contestant from California, Kellie Foster Moore!, in the Miss Teen USA pageant sign her name with an an exclamation point across the TV screen.
39 Pet peeves are spam, telemarketing, roadside and beach litter, smokers who throw cigarette butts on the ground, and drivers who don’t use turn signals and/or needlessly use their horn.
40 Has had his identity stolen three times with credit card fraud.
41 Has read The Bible from cover to cover.
42 He eats out every night and has cooked at home only a few times.
43 Has founded and has organized the monthly “30-Minute Beach Cleanup” for more than 12 years.
44 Age 42. Born 6-6-69.
45 His ancestors are from Germany, Sweden and England.
46 He has 14 active Web sites. Links to all can be found at www.JustinRudd.com
47 His parents, brother, three sisters and both grandmothers still live close to where he grew up in southeast Alabama. He has six nieces and three nephews.
His fraternal twin Jason lives in Dothan, Alabama, and was a two-time City Councilman.
48 His favorite genres of music are soft rock, country and Christmas. Some musicians he currently enjoys are Karen Carpenter, Josh Groban, Russell Watson, Elton John, Celine Dion, Long Beach Caravn Trio and Sandi Patty. He also digs 70’s disco.
49 His favorite Long Beach restaurant is Claim Jumper. Other favorites are KPasta, Enrique’s, Magic Lamp, Buona Gente, La Creperie, BJ’s Pizza, and Pick Up Stix.
50 He has taught body sculpting classes at the Belmont Athletic Club in Belmont Shore for more than 10 years and now is a substitute instructor there. He has been certified group fitness instructor with the Aerobics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA).
51 He has traveled in Brazil, Zambia, Zimbabwe, London, Spain, Germany, France, Italy, Greece, Mexico, Canada, Hawaii, Switzerland, Austria and Liechtenstein. Aisle seat, please.
52 For 11 years, he taught “Sand Challenge” Beach Boot Camp classes every Sat. and most Sundays. CLICK FOR INFO
54 His birthmark has been seen by only a few and he has a “wild” hair.
55 He likes premium ice creams. Anything with chocolate (the darker the better) and peanut butter is best. Never with other nuts.
56 He doesn’t have or use a hair dryer, brush or comb (and has not since high school).
57 At graduation from high school, he received an award for 12 years of perfect attendance and was selected “class favorite” for three years.
58 He has two Dyno low-rider, extra-long beach cruiser bicycles and a racing bike for triathlons. He pulls/has pulled Rosie and Riley in a chariot behind his low-rider. SEE VIDEO
60 Justin sends out many free e-newsletters (dog lovers, kids, pageant hopefuls, beach cleanup, fitness enthusiasts) to more than 43,000 unique subscribers. subscribe
61 He led an effort that allowed, for the first time in more than 30 years, dogs to play on a city beach on Sunday, June 24, 2001. He also spearheaded the establishment of a daily leash-free dog beach in Long Beach that began Aug. 1, 2003. The area is now called Rosie’s Dog Beach, after his bulldog Rosie that inspired its creation.
63 His nickname in college was “For You” — short for his freshman class presidential campaign slogan: “This Rudd’s For You” (a takeoff of the Budweiser commercial, This Bud’s for You). Currently, his partner calls him “Smiley.”
64 His favorite instruments to listen to are the cello, French horn, oboe, pipe organ, piano and the triangle.
65 He has a slight Southern accentand sometimes says phrases like “fixin’ to” and “all ya’ll.”
66 He doesn’t care for marshmallows, eggs, lollipops, most candy bars, sushi, rare meat, coconut or walnuts.
67 He has a motorcycle license and a silver-colored Aprilia Scarabeo 250cc scooter that can go approx. 80 MPH and is freeway legal.
68 He Is 6’1, 185, blue eyes, brown hair, athletic build.
69. At Samford University he sang “second bass” four years in the a cappella choir.
70. He is a Christian and loves Jesus.
71. He has a pink dot at the bottom of his driver license. CLICK
74 Justin recycles.
75 He has a tan line.
76. his bulldog Riley sure does!
77 His favorite dessert is the Pizookie (pizza-pan-baked, warm chocolate chip cookie) with vanilla bean ice cream from BJ’s Pizza.
78 He admires Jesus Christ, Sandi Patty, Billy Graham, Hillary Clinton, Bill Clinton, Barack Obama, Joel Osteen, Oprah, positive thinkers, people who smile, people who give, those who serve, those who volunteer and single parents.
79 He moderates 27 Facebook fan pages, including the 16,300+ fans of “Long Beach, Calif.” Click to be a fan.
80 He drives a 21-year-old car.
81 In high school he represented his school at Boys State, was selected as Good Citizenship Boy, played percussion in the band, sang in the choir and was the lead actor and student director in school musicals.
82 His name was on the ballot for District 3 City Council for the election on April 11, 2006. He decided not to campaign and did not win.
83 He rarely eats pasta. When he moved to Los Angeles and didn’t have much money, he ate spaghetti a few times a day, every day.
84 Sometimes the local papers say things about Justin! READ STORIES
85 Justin and his bulldog Rosie were featured on an episode of HGTV’s Going Home as they traveled home to Ozark in 2001 to celebrate his birthday with his twin.
86 Justin and his late bulldog Rosie were on a game show on Animal Planet. It was called You Lie Like a Dog, and was developed to raise money for animal charities. Together, over the years, they helped to raise more than $l million for charities.
87 He is published. He compiled Justin Rudd’s 1,001 Pageant Questions (Vol. 1 & 2) and 150+ Mrs. Questions, which are used by pageant contestants, judges, directors and coaches around the world.
88 Loves the #15 combo from Jack in the Box.
89 He feeds wild birds and squirrels every day.
90 On Dec. 20, 2006, Justin was interviewed live on FOX NEWS CHANNEL on the Fox & Friends show, following Donald Trump’s announcement to not fire the current Miss USA Tara Conner. Justin’s client was Miss Calif. USA Tamiko Nash, the 1st Runner-up to Miss USA 2006, who was expected to take over the crown.
91 He wrote the “Haute Dog” column in the Grunion Gazette from May 2005 – May 2007.
92 Some of the live performances that Justin has seen include Diana Ross, Dolly Parton, Amy Grant, Sandy Patti, Janet Jackson, Vince Gill, Reba McEntire, Celine Dion, Alan Jackson, Little Big Town, KC & the Sunshine Band, Olivia Newton-John, Alison Krauss, Sting, Barry Manilow, Cher, Cindi Lauper, Donna Summer, Gloria Estefan, Jason & DeMarco, Jessica Simpson, Harry Connick Jr., John Tesh, Josh Groban, Kathi Trocolli, Kool & the Gang, LeAnn Rimes, Vanessa Williams, Maureen McGovern, Martina McBride, Michael Buble, Michael W. Smith, Steven Curtis Chapman, Tina Turner, Lee Ann Rimes, and Tony Bennett.
93 He received the Outstanding Environmental Achievement Award from the EPA in 2005.
94 Justin ran the Long Beach 1/2 Marathon (13.1 miles) in 2007 and 2011 and finished with the same finish time of 1 hour 37 minutes — or a 7:26/mile pace. That’s 218th out of 6,026 runners in 2007/ and 324th place in 2011 with 10,715 finishers!
96 Justin believes in miracles.
97 He listens to podcasts every day when he runs. Currently, he listens to the TODAY Show, 60 Minutes, Nightline, and Joel Osteen.
98 Not a fan of group meetings, committees or early mornings.
99 Takes yoga classes each week.
100 Ran 120+ miles within two weeks for a run/walk challenge hosted by The Belmont in May 2011.
Sign up for Justin’s Email Newsletters
APPROX. 6,000 runners and walkers took part in the 8th annual Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trot 5K/10K in Long Beach, Calif., to raise funds for Justin’s 501c3 Community Action Team (C.A.T.).
GROWING UP IN THE ALAMABA COUNTRYSIDE, Justin Rudd preferred horses to dogs. Then, after moving to Long Beach he adopted Rosie, an English bulldog, and his fate was sealed. Today, Rudd is known for the Haute Dog Easter and Howl’oween parades, annual events that draw as many as 700 dogs… FULL STORY
ABOVE PHOTO You may have seen my friend JP Calderon on Survivor Cook Islands or on the Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency show. I know him from the gym. Great guy, super-nice, way in shape — as you can see in this shirtless image! This is a photo I took of him on June 21, 2005, when he was jogging down the middle of 2nd St. in Belmont Shore here in Long Beach (Calif.) just following the devastating fire at Legends Bar & Grill — that’s why the paramedics are in the background. I took lots of photos from the fire and posted them in a YouTube video CLICK “Fighting Fires in Long Beach, Calif.”